Friday, August 6, 2010

CentOS 5.5 Installation

3:50PM ::
I already installed once. Started by formatting with G-Parted LiveCD with the boot partition as ext2 and the rest a ext4. I didn't install a desktop environment the first time around. Couldn't get X working on my own, so I'm reinstalling. Reformatted the partitions with the CentOS installation, apparently CentOS won't do ext4, so now all but the boot partition are ext3, boot is still ext2.
There's on confusing part of the installation, where you choose the package(s) you want to install [Desktop-Gnome; Desktop-KDE; Server; etc.]. To figure out what exactly the packages are, you need to select the package you want to check out, then select "Packages from CentOS Extras", then the "customize now" radio button, then next. You can see all the default programs to be installed and can choose from others, if you want to try or add a different layout you can go back.

Edit: After customizing my packages with the install, it errored out before really doing anything. This could have been because I changed the partitions to ext3 or because the custome package thing doesn't really work. So, I went back and reformatted with the GParted LiveCD to use ext4 filesystems again. Chose the Server - GUI and Virtualization packages, didn't customize them, figured I'd just do it later, and everything went off witout a hitch.

4:15 ::
It's kind of pain to find installation documentation. When doing a netinstall, the mirror and directory can be mirror.centos.org and centos/x.x/os/i386 respectively; where x.x is the version, in my case 5.5.

No comments:

Post a Comment