Friday, August 13, 2010

Fresh Install

I did a fresh install of Archlinux64 on my laptop last night. Got rid of all the bloat that is KDE (if you can call it that). I'm now simply running i3. I'm still working on getting it all setup and configured the way I like, reading through the documentation and such. Reformatting achieved a couple other things for me: a new partitioning scheme, I got rid of HAL, and now I'm using Xorg sans xorg.conf in /etc/X11. My laptop also has an S-video output, so I've installed the proprietary ATI drivers, which I'll need to configure further.
Here's the new partion scheme:
File System  Size  Mount

sda1  ext3   23MB  /boot
sda2  ext4   1GB   /
sda3         Extended Partition
 sda5 ext4   2GB   /tmp
 sda6 ext4   3GB   /var
 sda7 ext4   6GB   /usr
 sda8 swap   512MB swap
sda4  ext4   80GB  /home

I also screwed up on my CentOS partitioning. I only gave the /usr partition 3GB and it's already full. I still need to find if my machine is ESXi compatable, if it is, I'm just going to install that. Otherwise, I guess it's another CentOS install. I think this time I'll get rid of Gnome and try i3 on it, since I much prefer a WM.

No comments:

Post a Comment